Are you as much of a matcha lover as I am?! Well, you’ve come to the right place! These matcha white chocolate rice crispies aren’t for the matcha noobs (no offense). Purposefully, a good amount of matcha powder is used and the bitterness of the matcha is balanced with the sweet white chocolate chips and a creaminess factor comes from both the matcha and white chocolate chips mixed with the marshmallow.
Now let’s talk about this matcha giveaway that’s happening. Motion Matcha is hosting this FABULOUS giveaway where you get ONE YEARS worth of matcha. That’s a matcha lovers dream come true. That’s kind of why you’re here right? So.. while you’re munching on these addicting matcha white chocolate rice crispies, go and enter this giveaway!
Before starting, make sure you have ALL ingredients handy as this will all come together in the blink of an eye. You’ll have to move quickly because you want to add everything as soon as the marshmallows melt. I’ve found that the less time you have the marshmallows over heat, the softer the marshmallows stay. Crunchy rice crispies that feel like you’ll crack a tooth while taking a bite is never pleasant.
Matcha White Chocolate Rice Crispies
Servings: 9 large squares
1/2 C. (1 stick) of unsalted butter
1-10 oz. bag of marshmallows
2 Tbsp. matcha powder
1/2 C. white chocolate chips (I used ghiradelli)
5 C. rice crispy cereal
Things you’ll need:
One large pot
Wooden spoon or any large spoon
1. Line a 8″x8″ pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, melt the butter. Keep the butter over medium heat constantly stirring until the butter starts to smell nutty and turns into a caramel color. This is now browned butter (YUM).
3. Immediately add the marshmallows into the browned butter and constantly stir until all of the marshmallows have melted.
4. Turn off the stove and quickly add the matcha powder and stir incorporating the matcha powder with the marshmallow. At this stage, your pot of marshmallows should be ninja turtle green.
5. Pour in the white chocolate chips and rice crispy cereal into the pot. Using a wooden spoon, stir everything together until all the cereal is coated with the marshmallow mixture. Some of the white chocolate chips will have melted, but this is totally fine and you actually want that.
6. Pour everything into your lined baking pan and quickly push the mixture evenly into the pan (don’t forget the corners) so that the top is flat.
7. Let rest for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
These can be stored in a sealed tight container for up to three (3) days.